Pages

Hadith of the Update

Narrated by Ibn 'Abbas,

The Prophet said, "There are two blessings which many people lose : (They are) Health and free time for doing good."

[Bukhari. Volume 8, Book 76, Number 421]

Quote of the Update

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

-George Orwell

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Sense of Superiority


Peace be upon you.

   A few weeks ago, I received my scholarship. Praise be to God. (Happy) I remembered when I was in first year, the scholarship for 3 critical courses, Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacy will definitely be given to the new students who were offered these courses. That was 3 years ago. And just this year, this condition is no longer applied and students who were offered these courses are no longer considered special  and they have to compete with the others for scholarship.

   Then the talks spread. "Medical student should be given priority man. We worked hard to get here." More, "I feel so neglected now. I had to bust my ass during foundation, went to interviews, managed to get offered, but I'm the same as the others? S***". More, "Dentistry is not cheap. I've been burning the candle at both ends trying to get scholarship and they don't even care. FFF---".

   To tell you the truth, I once had the same feeling. The sense of being superior than the others. It's not obvious, but it's definitely there. Many of these students are not arrogant but, being human, they just can't avoid it. I wonder if there's anyone who really can avoid feeling superior even this subtle.

   For me it's normal to feel that way, but it's not normal to continue feeling that way once you have realised it. Sense of superiority is an insidious notion. It eats you to the very core, really slowly, it grows, and once you passed the threshold, I don't even know what will happen.

This video has a very good ending. If you don't feel like watching the whole video, skip to timeline 3:40

     This is only one example very close to me. I bet all of you have at least one near you. Perhaps 'very' near. 
"Rezeki Tuhan bagi, kita jangan sombong. Mendapat sesuatu itu rezeki, tak dapat sesuatu, itu juga rezeki. Jangan ingat kita sahaja yang berusaha keras (kononnya) dan geng-geng kursus lain tu sememangnya kurang layak berbanding kita. Tuhan sahaja tahu, mungkin mereka jauh lebih kuat berusaha daripada kita." - Anonymous
I think this is very true. Thank God this insight were given to me by a brother and I hope to make more notice this because it feels too right that we often ignored it. Even if it's hard, at the very least, let us try our best to clean our heart of  ego.


~Jaw~

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...